Family Picture May 2022

Family Picture May 2022

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thoughts elsewhere

Savanna and I had a partent teacher conference on Tuesday. Miss J says Savanna is doing very well, she's right where she needs to be in reading and skills, and she is very obedient and consciencious about the rules. In fact Miss J chose Savanna as her secret donation proxy, when Miss J wants to donate to a cause only students can contribute to, Miss J puts her donation under Savanna's name. It's their special little secret. When asked if I had any concerns about Sav, I asked if she gets her assignments done in class because at home it takes her 1 - 2 hours to do an assignment as she is so easily distracted. Miss J said, facetiously,

"Savanna? DISTRACTED?"

I guess Savanna's thoughts wander at school as well. I was hoping that was only at home, at Grandmas, at gymnastics, and at church. I guess I can't judge her too harshly, as my mind wanders a lot also, or stops working. Like when I cut my bangs. Or when my kids are talking to me. My brain doesn't snap back into focus until the whining starts, I hate whining, so usually I go from ignore to "CUT IT OUT!" My poor kids don't even get a warning mode, I jump from docile to dangerous because of my wandering mind.

And whining.

I've never known a more annoying sound than a kid whining about something. Unfortunately, Weston is proficient at it, and worse he is NOT easily distracted. One morning it was about him wanting me to wash the sausages that were in his soup so he could eat just the sausages. Silly of me not to oblige, thinking if I asked him to "just eat it with soup on it" he would be happy. Jared, bless his heart, tried every method of distraction so we could eat breakfast in peace and so I wouldn't morph into Mean Mommy because of the whining. No distraction worked, but because of Jared's diligent attempts to help I was patient enough to help Westy out and wash his sausages.

I am TOO good at taking care of our fish, he is still alive. Sometimes only half alive, he floats at the top and we all watch to see if he finally died or he'll move again and he always moves eventually.

We took the kids to a BYU Gymnastics meet, trying to spark some excitement into their minds about the sport I have enrolled them all in. Savanna was super excited all afternoon, and super bored at the meet. Fiora wanted popcorn and stared down the college girls behind us until they dropped some on the floor for her to eat. Weston was happy as long as Cozmo was in view and he was standing up on his chair. When the college guy behind us said "DOWN" and I tried to make him sit down things got a little crazy whiney. The highlight was Weston giving Cozmo a high-five, otherwise it was just a good thing Fiora and I got in for free because we were wearing pink. It is Breast Cancer Awareness month and I wasn't aware of that or Jared and Weston would have been wearing pink also.

So we are all so grateful the weather has been a little nicer this week so kids can go outside to play. Fiora and Savanna were nice enough to clean off the tramp with every dish rag and hand towel they could find, and then wash those rags off in the sand-box filled with water.

3 comments:

Kiera said...

HEY HEATHER!!! how are you?? thank you for the invite I love your blog!! I haven't seen any Utah cousins in so long how is our family?? all the pictures are so cute i'm so glad I can read about everything since we are so far away!!!
thanks

Cami said...

Oh MAN I hate kid whining. Jefferson has been especially good at it lately. Man. His favorite whine today was wanting a Nintendo DS, which he is NEVER going to get as far as I'm concerned. Why today? i don't know. But MAN, I lose my patience fast with that sound.

Natalie said...

I've resorted to several tactics for the whining. "I'm not Whiny Wally's mom." "You are not my baby, please try again." Those two are my favorite at the moment. And what do you mean with your bangs? Are you saying you don't like them? because I think they look really good!

In Memory of Lillian

In Memory of Lillian
Our Family