Family Picture May 2022

Family Picture May 2022

Friday, July 17, 2009

Savanna's new leaf

Savanna decided she wanted her ears pierced last year sometime, but I told her not until she was 12 so she could make that decision when she was older and wiser. She laid her case before me again when she turned eight, stating now she was accountable for her own decisions and should be able to get her ears pierced. I said that was true, but it is a big decision and she had to prove herself by earning the money for it, which I figured would be about 20 dollars with studs, service fee, and cleaning solution. Jared agreed, if she could earn $20.00 she was clear to have her ears pierced. (note: Jared and I both thought this wouldn't happen for years) She had been given money for her birthday from various people for her eighth birthday (thanks gma, a&a). With that foundation, Savanna went to work doing extra chores for a dollar. The chore idea was going slow, so she came up with some other ways to earn. She made carnival booths out of cardboard boxes and charged her friends to play carnival games in our backyard. One friend gave her 4 dollars which I thought was outlandish, so she had to give that back and apologize (which made her quite unhappy). She had a lemonade stand one day and a few of our neighbors were kind enough to pay 25 cents a cup, enough to earn her about 4 dollars. A couple weeks ago she came up with her most brilliant plan yet. She went to the store with me and spent 4 dollars of her own money on 3 boxes of icecream bars. Then she walked around the block and asked people who were outside in their yards (I forbade her to knock on doors) if they wanted an icecream bar for 50 cents. She came home with 7 dollars! She actually made her money work for her and earned more than she spent. I was impressed. Then she made me pay her 50 cents if I wanted one of her icecream bars so she earned a little more. Tuesday she announced that, tithing aside, she had $20.00. I dumped out her bank to see if it was true, she acutally had $19.90. Fiora was kind enough to give her a dime of her money, Savanna earned it by making her laugh. A deal's a deal. I had to take her to get her ears pierced. And the total came to $19.21, it was just enough for her white gold coated star shaped studs with diamonds middles. Her choice of course. She was warned several times that it would hurt, but she was undetered. She did ask me to hold her hand during the piercing. She flailed her arms and jumped the first piercing, but only flinched a little the second time, and had a huge smile on her face all the way home.

But that's not all folks. Savanna has been determined this summer to get her own room. She has been sleeping in Jesse and Kelsy's old room and insisting on doing it alone, she wanted her space. As it has always been difficult for me to get the girls to clean their room because it's always "the other one's" mess, or "she's not helping" I thought it was time to utilize the space we have downstairs with an extra bedroom and give Savanna her own room. While Jared was at scout camp, I bought a bed and picked it up all by myself and Krystal Joy helped me move it downstairs. Grandpa Neil gave her a desk, we need to refinish it but it is so cute, Savanna is very excited about that. All her clothes and toys are transfered, and she has loved having her own room. And she has kept it clean for 3 whole days!!!

She is a big girl now. I have a sort of empty feeling at that thought. However, I've noticed through this experience that Savanna has a genuine talent at saving money and making it work for her. That has never been one of my strong points. Kids will surprise you!

13 comments:

Amy said...

What a determined little Schauers! Can't believe how fast they grow up!!

Karli Sue said...

wow that's amazing! Savanna is a hard worker and determined! go savanna!

Stacy said...

That is great. Go Savanna! Cute earrings too!

Holly said...

that is amazing! she is one go getter! we are really entering a new phase in life now, we all dont have lil babies hanging off our hips anymore they are all growing up! she is getting so big.

The Snow Family said...

I think I am going to cry! My darling little Savanna just had to go and grow up! What a big bundle of learning went into that experience. You and Jared ROCK as parents!

Cody and Utahna said...

I'm so impressed. Way to go, Sav! Your ears look great.

Grandma Sandy said...

What a great story!!! I always knew Savanna was a special little spirit. Determination & goal setting are assets that will help her through this life. Such a great lesson in following through & finding ways to accomplish to that which she sets her mind. We are so proud of her entrepenuership (sp?)

Robin said...

Wow. I love this story. I love these blogs that keep us connected and now our kids have these wonderful stories that are for sure keepsakes.

Kaylee said...

I remember getting my ears pierced for my baptism, it's a very big step in a girl's life :) Savanna looks so grown-up!

runningfan said...

We just switched things around so Zach could have his own room, too -- for the same reason! It's great! No ear piercing at our house, though. :)

Eric and Shelene said...

WHAT????? They told us that money for the lemonade was for the poor! I bought it under false pretenses! Just kidding....good for her for working so hard!

Carpenter Column said...

WOW! I can't believe that awsome story - You go girl Savanna! She's growing up way too fast! Remember when Hayley and I tried to have that little store in the front yard and it didn't do much to earn us money? ha ha

Cami said...

TOO grown up. If Jeffy wanted his own room, he'd have to go on downstairs, so that won't happen anytime soon.

In Memory of Lillian

In Memory of Lillian
Our Family