Family Picture May 2022

Family Picture May 2022

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Fun age

We have had my brother Joseph and sister Rachel over at our house this week while my parents are in Hawaii. It has been so fun! IT has been nice for Weston to have a boy here to play Bakugan's with and just be boys. Rachel has been a big help, she is such a peace maker, always willing to take the short end of the stick to make the kids happy. Monday we hiked the Y, the kids are at such a fun age, they can do things without needing naps and breaks and being dragged around against their will. Fiora was the most resistant about the Y hiking idea. She is, how do I put this, the child who prefers to do things that take no effort. The more effort it takes, the less fun it becomes. Alas, she was born to a mom who is determined to see that she develops skills of some kind, and most skill building requires effort. That means Fiora was signed up for soccer this year. Tuesday I carted the kids back and forth from soccer camp, and I watched Fiora do the drills as slowly as she dared and then she ran to me afterwards very upset because it was "so hard." I was concerned but not surprised. She can't quit until the season is over, in 2012. Weston and Savanna didn't care for the new style of soccer camp either, life's tough. Joseph got sick that day so we just hung out at home the rest of the day. Wednesday we went to the zoo, and again, fun age! We had cousin Lucy sleep over so she could come with us, so it was me and 6 kids but they are all so excited and full of energy and cooperative being ages 7 - 12. (Weston will be 7 on Tuesday). The weather was perfect and the animals were awesome. My favorite was the bird show and the adorable baby elephant. No one got lost, we all stayed together, whenever we were ready to move on we would shout 1 2 3 4 5 6! To make sure all 6 kids were following. After our picnic lunch the kids all got a little tired, but it wasn't anything a little cotton candy couldn't fix. We were all tired after that, but it was worth it.

Today we went to the park and did the soccer camp again. Fiora surprised me with a wonderful attitude after soccer, she was smiling and said it was better this time, and I was so proud of her for not giving up. Me and the kids had a pow wow in the park, I reminded them that we have 4 important things to accomplish every day: 1) lessons, 2) practicing, 3) chores, and 4) fun! I need them to be with me on this, I can't keep fighting the battle of making them do things without some cooperation. After lunch the kids did a chore and practiced and although it was still tedious (I could do all the chores so much faster myself) and motivated by my presence and threats, it did seem to be less torturous today. I am fortunate to have smart and wonderful children, I hope my efforts to make them productive and skilled will pay off some day.

The weeks not over yet, we get to keep Rachel and Joseph until Saturday! But I wanted to get these pictures in while I had a minute.


























2 comments:

Amy said...

Looks like a lot of fun- for mom too I hope;) it will be fun to have a girls night tomorrow hopefully you will get some r&r!!!

Stacy said...

FUN - you are such a great mom and aunt! I was thinking about going to the zoo too! It's such good weather right now!

In Memory of Lillian

In Memory of Lillian
Our Family