Family Picture May 2022

Family Picture May 2022

Friday, January 25, 2013

Icicles, Snowflakes, and Sledding

 Weston contracted influenza at the beginning of this month. He called home saying he had a headache and was cold and sure enough the poor boy was feverish and his nose ran like crazy for three days. He was achy, weak, and couldn't keep food down sometimes, I had to change my plans a little bit that week. I'm not used to having a kid at home all day that I can't leave for more than an hour at a time, but I didn't mind hanging out with my Weston at all, he is a real special kid. Thankfully after 4 days of being coughed on, cuddled with, and general exposure of the highest degree, I didn't contract the flu myself.  I tell my kids its because I don't eat sugar and take my vitamins and exercise regularly, but I better not be bragging too much about that or I'm sure to come down with something just to keep me humble. I took advantage of the time with Weston to cut his hair, it was getting pretty shaggy.

 Lillian's birthday was the 15th of January. My parents and Gma R, and Kynsie, Krystal, Rachel, Joseph came over the evening prior to celebrate. It was only 2 degrees outside but the older kids braved the hot tub and we wimpy old people stayed inside to play games.  It was really fun playing Scrabble Slam and Mormon Rook with Grandma and my parents, I don't get exclusive time with them very often!  We sang Happy Birthday to Lillian and had apple crisp. The next day I went to the cemetery and uncovered her headstone and gave her a card. Funny how I always seem to be directed to wherever it is under all that snow!
 Savanna in carpool was telling her friend Katie that "TV is my life!"  I try not to engage in a power struggle with Sav but I couldn't help myself this time.  I said, "No, TV is not your life." She tried to debate with me all the reasons it is her life, her very reason for living! I said, "Well that needs to change."  So that afternoon the kids came home from school and I said "Today is 'get a life' day; no TV, iPad, iPhone, or computer of any kind for the entire rest of the day."  Fiora and Weston said, "OK" and made these cool snowflakes and played outside and read.  Savanna was, um, less cooperative with the idea.  Ok she was furious. She moped, and pouted, and burst out in a tirade a time or two, but did manage to make it the whole afternoon without any electronic entertainment and even picked up her violin to play for fun once.  !!!  She helped me with dinner and she read and did homework, and by the end of the night she was happy too. 

 Here is one of the stalactite icicles we have coming off our roof.  They are finally starting to fall off due to some warmer weather. Savanna found one and brought it in the house, and boasted that she ate an icicle today.
Jared's been ice fishing a couple times this month, and I'm glad he made it back alive both times (sub zero temperatures). Jared took our family up to Timberlakes last Saturday and we all had fun sledding down a huge hill then being towed up by four wheelers, over and over and over. That was the first sledding trip we've had that not one complaint was heard by our kids the entire time.  We stopped for chinese after and the kids must have worked up an appetite because they devoured everything we put in front of them plus some of our food as well. Veggies and all.  We love and appreciate our children, for the most part they are responsible, fun, and smart, and I'm doing my level best to enjoy them rather than endure them every day. :)

No comments:

In Memory of Lillian

In Memory of Lillian
Our Family