Family Picture May 2022

Family Picture May 2022

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

This is the day the Lord hath made, let us rejoice and be glad


Jared decided that instead of allowance, we needed to implement a system where the kids get paid for doing extra chores around the house. He went to a lot of work to create these job charts with money values, revising to make sure they'd be functional, and he worried that he may end up having to pay his "employees" too much money.  I didn't worry at all because I am of the opinion that the kids would choose not to do the extra work, since its been all I could do for the past 3 years just to get them to do their regular chores. And see, they have to do their "regular" chores first, or no extra chores will be paid for. Regular chores include: 1 kitchen job daily, clean room once a week, do laundry once a week. They have trouble doing just that, so I figured anything extra would be even more bothersome in their minds. I was right unfortunately. Come Saturday they are somehow less enthusiastic about earning money than they were Monday and usually they choose not to do anything extra and it falls on me to do all those wonderful extra chores that could potentially earn them each $12.00 a week. Its a work in progress, maybe with time the kids will get the idea. Fiora did earn $9 the first week we tried it, and that dropped to 2.25 then next. Sav earned $6 the first week and $0 then next. Weston earned $0 the first and $0 the second. No one has even bothered to look at their charts this week.

Jared said we need to stop buying them stuff. He's probably right. He took them to get birthday gifts for their friends one evening and told them he would pay now if they earn the money doing chores and pay him back. The loan didn't pan out and Jared was rather frustrated, and Savanna always likes to say "Just take it out of my account Dad." BTW her account is dwindling.
One thing I don't buy them candy junk food or treats. Which is probably why Fiora spent her earnings of $11.00 on soda, swiss rolls, popcorn, chocolate chips, cup of noodles, and fudge pops. She had a tummy ache that night.
I got an idea of how to boost Weston's desire to earn money. I'm going to put little Lego figures in his Easter eggs and tell him if he wants the full sets these figures go to he needs to pay for them. Ha ha, I hope that will pan out.

Savanna had her end of the year orchestra concert and Spring Fling (orchestra jam session with 5 other elementary schools). She had fun at her end of the year party playing dodge ball

Fiora is awesome. She is my non procrastinator so she has time to play, and lately is having a bunch of fun on a new computer game called "Animal Jam."

Weston is awesome too. Soccer has already started and he is being a good sport about going to practices.

I participate in the Orem Chorale, a community choir, and I really enjoy it. Our easter fireside concert was Sunday and it was lovely. My mom made a special trip all the way here on a sunday night to see it and I really appreciated that!

Poor Jared's allergies are flaring up and he is not having fun trying to keep it under control. He's had a few sleepless nights lately!

Jared and I decided to get him a ticket to the BYU play Grandma and I were going to Friday, and I didn't realize til after that that was the evening the girls both had late night parties and Weston would be home alone til 10:00.  Uh, can't do that yet. Thankfully Heidi Weight saved our bacon and tended Weston for us all evening. They played the Wii and made bread sticks, and we got a chance to visit with Heidi when we got home.  We really appreciated that!

The kids wrote this nice note on the white board for me one afternoon when I got home from work:


I haven't taken many pictures in March. Its been pretty routine, but I wouldn't say boring, it seems there is always something going on. Of course for someone as "homebody" as me even the dullest of times will seem to pass quickly. Why do I like my home so much? There is food, and water, 4 bathrooms, and a comfortable quiet bed, I know the level of cleanliness, warmth, and my precious family that surrounds me. The older I get the more stressful anything sounds that takes me away from home, especially for extended periods of time, because lack of sleep, cold, lack of food, and over-work cause this frail little body to suffer. So spring break will be spent at home, and that's just fine with me, Jared and I will continue working and relaxing in our safety net.  The kids, what do we do with the kids though?
That being said, Jared and I are going to Alaska in May, I look forward to the adventure despite the potential discomfort and lack of sleep it may bring me at times. C'mon Heather, resilience! Stamina! Courage! Live your life, shake your fist at your mental and physical limitations and say "Do your worst!" and say it with a smile.

2 comments:

LL said...

I don't buy the kids things very often, I usually make them pay for it themselves with money from their "account", which I track on my phone. I think this makes money kind of abstract for them and am trying to switch over to them having cash and paying cash and keeping track of their own cash. Kind of a pain, but I think it will more useful to them. Thanks for sharing your system - always nice to see what other people are trying and what works (or doesn't) for them. And hats off to Jared - I've been struggling as I've put together our system. It is no small task! I finally gave up and now I pay only when they take initiative and do a household job without being asked to.

My parents would pay us $10 per week if we had all the weekend work finished by 10 am on Saturday. If we weren't done yet, we still had to do the chores, but we did them for free. That was pretty motivational for me to get my work done early.

I believe that people are quite loss averse and can be more motivated with the potential loss of something than they are by the potential gain of an equal amount. I'm trying to work that into our system...like if they don't get their laundry taken care of in a timely manner, I take care of it for them, and they pay me $5 for my time. They find that to be highly motivational.

Sorry. I'm rambling and avoiding starting MY morning chores. :-)

Heidi said...

My favorite part of this post was when you got accolades for being a good runner! :) Love it!

In Memory of Lillian

In Memory of Lillian
Our Family