Family Picture May 2022

Family Picture May 2022

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Reflections


I haven't bothered getting my kids into Reflections entries for years, its just always been that one extra thing I don't have time for. But this year my 3rd grade daughter Fiora decided she wanted to enter a book in Reflections. The theme was "Diversity means..." I told Fiora that it was fine with me if she entered a book and go ahead and write a page on diversity. She impressively wrote "Diversity means...different. Everyone's different. It doesn't matter if we're white, brown, black, old or young, we can still be friends. If you don't know someone, get to know them!" and then she drew two hands shaking. I thought that was pretty good straight out of her head with no help from mom or dad. So I encouraged her to write a page every day and illustrate what she wrote about, and I only helped her with the content on the last page to help tie the story together, and after 3 weeks it was done. Well this past week was an awards assembly and Fiora won the Award of Excellence in literature and was selected to move to the district competition! She's a pretty good little writer!
Here are a few excerpts, I couldn't scan the whole book because I ran out of time, if and when we ever get it back I will scan the rest.





Savanna wanted to enter something too, so she took some pictures of different things and made a poster. I asked her to frame it so it would look nicer and then we cound out that frames are not allowed, so she got an honorable mention in the awards ceremony but was disappointed to not move on. Next year Savanna!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I just read that book to Lucy! We can't wait to see the rest! Oh, and I added some stuff to the kids' updates this morning that I didn't think of last night (just a few things), so you will have to read theirs again! This morning when I was adding them I thought "I bet Heather already read these bc she is so quick and on the ball!" LOL love ya - and thanks for missing us too! :)

Heidi said...

Oh and your blog on your thoughts on the Book of Mormon is wonderful. I didn't know you had it. It would let me post with my new email address - maybe you need to tell them a thing or too. he he

Heidi said...

...a thing or two...eh hem...

In Memory of Lillian

In Memory of Lillian
Our Family