Family Picture May 2022

Family Picture May 2022

Monday, August 18, 2014

End of summer

Summer 2014, which went by so fast and yet which had a lot of interesting challenges that slowed me down, was still summer, with warm sunshine and outdoor activities, less structure and less demands on my time, so I am sad to see it go as we slip quickly into fall with school and work stress, and cooler temperatures.  This summer Weston was taught piano lessons by Michelle Hansen, who agreed to exchange babysitting of her 2 year old daughter with Down's syndrome every now and then for lessons. Its a great exchange for both parties, because its an honor and privilege for me to watch Nyla and Michelle seems to like teaching Wes, who practices, so he has improved his piano skills. Fun times with little Nyla Hansen.


 My Aunt Betty Ann, my mom's older sister whom I've admired all my days because she is organized, smart, funny, and elegant, is moving to China to teach English through BYU. Its a service mission of sorts, and I'm very jealous that she gets that unique opportunity. Thankfully I got to visit with her and her husband Steve before they left. My sister Kynsie is also leaving on a mission, her LDS mission to South Dakota, this week. She is also a person I've always admired because she is smart, funny, humble, and kind to everyone. She will make such a wonderful hard working missionary. I wish I could be more like both Betty Ann and Kynsie in many ways. (Fiora tells me I'm great in my own way, thanks Fi.)



Three awesome ladies, my Aunt Betty Ann, my Grandma Rappleye, my mom Kathy Sue

Savanna had an opportunity to go to the temple with her Sunday school class this last week. She also went to the temple with her friend Joy once this summer too. She loves doing baptisms and I'm glad there are lots of opportunities for her to do that.  She tried to pack in a lot of fun activities her last week of school, and is sad school is starting, she loves to swim and play and paint her nails and watch tv shows, the tedium of school is hard for her (8th grad is hard for anyone). You can do it Savanna!

Adrienne Young (teacher), Savanna, Brooke Jones (teacher)
So, things that have slowed me down this summer as you know already are the weird flu/pnemonia that hit the kids, and the stitches in my hand (which is now feeling much better by the way, but was much more inconvenient than I could have imagined to not be able to use my right hand for a week), and the other thing has been the monthly visit of pain when my ovarian cyst flares up during my period. Sorry if that TMI, but its really affected me this summer. It started in May and has come every month since, and lasts 3 days, and I have to cancel everything the day it hits so I can lay down and try to breathe through the pain. The effects are residual, I have to spend a week trying to recover from it, so it has really become a challenge. The doctor said I have to wait for the cyst to rupture and go away, or come back in a couple months to see if the cyst has grown (cancer). So the day before the Barrett family reunion the cyst pain hit me and I tried to get some pain killers in me as soon as I could, but it wasn't soon enough, and Savanna took this picture while I was laying down dealing with my ovarian cyst pain, and I missed my sister Karli Sue's baby shower because of the stupid pain!!! We had overnight guests and a Schauers family potluck that night that I helplessly had no control over, but went pretty well despite my being totally out of it.  Jared had to do a lot of the work that night, and the next day packing for the trip and loading things up, and I was so frustrated that I couldn't help, but every time I tried to get up and help out I would get so sweaty and nauseous that I would almost faint, I physically could not make myself function.

Interestingly enough, when we arrived at the reunion the pain went away completely, including the nausea, and didn't come back until we were driving home two days later. That was a miracle to me, the Lord suspended my illness so I could enjoy my time with my family in Heber, and I'm very grateful for that tender mercy.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

I LOVE the picture of you, my mom, Grandma and your mom....you all look gorgeous!

In Memory of Lillian

In Memory of Lillian
Our Family