Family Picture May 2022

Family Picture May 2022

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Giving

I have been looking for a way to concretely teach the kids that Christmas is about giving, not getting. So when I read in the Orem Newsletter about the Family Support and Treatment center accepting donations for the children they house because their home lives are dangerous, I got this brilliant idea to have the kids take one of their presents under the tree and give it to the children who don't get presents from their parents. Fiora was all for it, and picked the biggest, prettiest gift that had her name on it to give away. Savanna, bless her heart, was very much against the idea, unto tears of guilt and rage. I felt badly that she was upset, but still felt like I should encourage her to do it, so I kept suggesting it to her throughout the day. She did finally agree, and picked the smallest one. I told her she would really rather give away the bigger one (knowing she'd rather have the pretty stationery rather than the jacket I got her, and knowing the Center would need the jacket more than the stationery). But I left it up to her, and she finally did decide to give the bigger present away to the needy children. I was so proud of them as they deposited their gifts in the red sled at the Library. Without even knowing what they were giving up they freely gave their gifts. Weston was clueless about the whole thing, but I hope to make this a tradition every year, since I seem to always get presents under the tree early, to have them give one away to someone who needs it more.

3 comments:

Cami said...

That is really a cute idea. I think my kids would die if they had to give the presents away, but it is a lot easier before they are open! Love it.

Natalie said...

That is such a great idea Heather. It is hard to get your kids away from wanting wanting wanting and help them have the desire to give. You're such a great mom.

Sara said...

That is such a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing and I hope to do something similar in the years to come.

In Memory of Lillian

In Memory of Lillian
Our Family