Family Picture May 2022

Family Picture May 2022

Monday, March 24, 2008

Gymnastics

I received a call the other day that Savanna has advanced from Level 1 to Level 2 in gymnastics, finally. All the girls in her level 1 class are 5, and she'll be 7 in May. She has taken it at a slow pace but I still believe it has been wonderful for her development--large motor and spatial skills, and overcoming fears. Fiora is a might quicker, she was ready for level one the day she turned five but as I had her enrolled in the preschool which only teaches gym rompers I did not advance her. However, with Savanna moving up, that left an opening in level one so I made a spur of the moment decision to pull Fiora out of preschool and place her in Savanna's old class. It was a good decision, Fiora all but outdid all the girls already in the class, so Jared and I have decided to have her evaluated to see if she might move up to the advanced class. That would mean 3 hours a week of gymnastics for Fiora, but we'd love to see her develop that talent (she is coordinated, flexible, and attentive). We'll have to see. Here are some pictures of the girls doing their handstands.





You can kind of see the difference in technique the girls use, Savanna has a harder time with form but Fiora has a harder time getting all the way up there.



A straddle demo from Fiora (she can do better but didn't want to split her jeans):

A bridge demo from Savanna:

This morning Fiora was yelling "Mom come here I am so closer! I am really closer!" I thought, closer to what? When I came to see she was arching back into a bridge, meaning she was closer to doing a bridge from a standing position. I spotted her doing a back walkover and she did very well.

1 comment:

Cami said...

Gymnatics is so great. It was a huge part of my childhood, and I'm sure the girls will love it!

In Memory of Lillian

In Memory of Lillian
Our Family