Family Picture May 2022

Family Picture May 2022

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sad day for mom

This is one of those rare posts I write about a subject on the discouraging side. I usually try to find something humorous or something to be grateful about in my child-rearing efforts. But today is a sad day for the mommy of this house. Savanna officially quit piano lessons. There is no getting around it. I was in denial the first month when she refused to practice unless I stood over her, and then only argued with me about every note on the paper, and ultimately slammed the keys with her hands in frustration. I started thinking maybe this wouldn't work out when there was only one time in 10 months she practiced what she was assigned without complaining, and only a few more that practicing didn't end in tears. Bribes worked for a week, punishment never worked. She would gladly take the punishment over practicing. She started arguing before we even sat at the piano, then started spouting curses at pianos, teachers, me and anything else she could think of. It has been 3 weeks since she touched the piano and when today I reminded her she needs to practice because she has lessons she just burst into tears, ran into her room and shut the door. She skipped the arguing and being sent to her room by me and went straight to the tears. I dejectedly called her teacher Brother Hanks and told his wife Stacy that Savanna needs a break from piano. Since we have a deal to teach each other's kids so we don't have to pay someone, we decided to try and start Fiora on lessons. When I told Savanna that she will be taking a break from piano lessons she was visibly relieved and since she hates to think she "quit" anything, we agreed she is just taking a break and maybe will start again sometime in the distant future. She saw my sadness and gave me a big hug which helped me. I wanted Savanna to learn piano, maybe she still will, but it has to be on her terms and not as an extension of my own ego.

7 comments:

Robin said...

i feel your pain sista... not to that extent, but miles also has hit a mode where he is not to fond of practicing... only usually because he wants me right there... but practice usually is right while i am prepairing dinner... i am hoping and praying that it doesn't come to the scenario you just wrote about. I think you handled it so well. I remember feeling a little "trapped" about practicing when i was younger... i think that if my parents would have made it more my choice i would have enjoyed it so much more. you are awesome. sorry you had a sad day.

runningfan said...

So sorry! I've resisted starting Zachary for the same reason...I worry it will become a battle of wills. Good luck sorting it out! Maybe if Fiora loves it then Savanna will come back!

Emily N. said...

I have always worried about this happening to my kids some day. I want them to find joy in something I have always loved, but in the end, it may not be enough. My battled a few of my siblings on the piano front, and in the end, when they stopped, it was okay. One of them, really wishes she could play much better than she does now, but it's how life is and our own individual spirits have a lot to do with it too.

Breanne said...

Hopefully she will want to try again in a few years. I took piano when I was a kid for about a year, and now I wish I had stuck with it! I can barely play and I regret not learning when it would have been easier to learn :)

Maria Olson said...

The piano will always be there. I am learning now as an adult. Learning is always better when it is self motivated. She may pick it up later or it may just not be her thing. McKay took a break for awhile and is now quite excited about it again. You never know.

Natalie said...

my mom went through this with my youngest sister. at one point she said she'd only do violin lessons if my mom let her wear eye shadow (4th or 5th grade) Hopefully one day something will spark her interest right?

Sara said...

Sadly, I went through what Savannah is going through. I did not like practicing or my lessons, but mostly I didn't like my teacher and finally my mom let me quit.

Now I am 30 and so wish I knew how to play the piano. I know a few songs and can play them well. I can plunk out notes and slowly get through a song but I'll never have a calling playing the piano that's for sure. Someday I'd like to start taking lessons again.

I'm sorry you're going through this with Savannah. Maybe as she gets older she will want to play again. Or maybe another instrument. I stopped the piano but picked up playing the clarinet instead.

PS, you are a great mom for helping Savannah.

In Memory of Lillian

In Memory of Lillian
Our Family