Family Picture May 2022

Family Picture May 2022

Friday, March 5, 2010

Grandma's funeral


What a week! We have been very much enjoying each others company in the Schauers Family sharing memories and grieving. Wednesday all the grandkids got together and practiced "I Know That My Savior Loves Me" for the program, and I was able to head that up and accompany them. I also was able to find and quickly learned the piano arrangement of "Through the Years" to accompany Keith Snow for the funeral program. I was very honored to be able to participate. Jared was able to speak in the program which was very nice. The entire program was beautiful. Thursday was the viewing and funeral services in Gunnison. My brother-in-law Gabe did all the mortuary services for us and did such a great job on the embalming. Everyone commented on how great Grandma looked, just like herself and so peaceful. What a blessing. The kids were so well behaved, Savanna and Fiora cried quite a bit right before the casket was closed, but Fiora was Grandpa's little friend and comforter all through the program. We shared a lot of tears and a really great lunch by the Gunnison 1st ward afterwards. It was a very special day.




Thankfully my mom and Grandma Rappleye were able to come down to Gunnison with me to be my comforter. Jared had already gone down and then sat on the stand and then spent most of the luncheon setting up and helping out. That evening we all got together again for dinner and were able to process and talk about the great program. Wendy Snow and Savanna engaged in a touching conversation, Savanna pretty much testified to Wendy that she knew Grandma's spirit would always be with us like a comforter, retelling the story she heard at her baptism about the Holy Ghost. Wendy said, "I just love you, you know I introduced your mom and dad to each other, I only wanted their first born in return but they haven't paid up!" Savanna said, "So you're Wendystiltzkin?" Funny girl!
Friday we got up and got ready for Schauers family pictures with every living member of the Neil and Sandy Schauers posterity. I think they will turn out really nice, can't wait to see them. Then we spent the next couple hours at the graveside under a snow fall, again sharing memories. Weston was an honorary pallbearer, and a great umbrella holder too. The kids were able to release balloons at the end of the graveside service, and then we had another great lunch at the Weight's ward.




Grandpa Neil loved seeing my Grandma Rappleye, age 89, attending the funeral services. He asked her how she was, and answered for her, "Every day above ground's a great day!" So True!

5 comments:

Maria Olson said...

Oh, Heather. I love you. So sorry to hear about Jared's beautiful Mother. You and your family will be in my prayers.

runningfan said...

So sorry about your loss. Looks like it was a beautiful funeral.

Emily N. said...

Thanks for sharing so much about the day. I would have loved to have been able to be there. Take care and hope you are all finding much peace and comfort.

Carpenter Column said...

Sandy did turn out looking good didn't she? Lisa showed me some of her picts too at the Luncheon. You all are still in my thoughts and prayers. I hope Neil is doing o.k. Love all the picts! :)

Cami said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but it looks like she was such a sweet friend to your kids. I do love being able to spend time with other loved ones during a hard time.

In Memory of Lillian

In Memory of Lillian
Our Family